Thursday, December 13, 2012

BIG OL' ODYSSEY... TOTAL RIGHT KNEE REPLACEMENT

I haven't been down this road since 1999. Total joint replacement. I could tell you I'd rather be gut shot and left for the pigs, but that's not quite true. Actually, I'm pretty darned grateful. Joint replacement is a good surgery. If you have confidence in your surgeon, rehab your buttinsky off, stay ahead of your pain courtesy the friendly neighborhood pharmacy, when all's said and done quality of life improves. 

So.....tonight in preparation for tomorrow, I have to shower with an antibacterial soap, clean pajamas, and clean sheets on the bed. All part of my doctor's war on infection. Good for him...I hate germs too.







The Orthopedic Surgery Department at UK Med Center is a pretty on the ball kind of place. Everything is streamlined to get you into the hospital as smoothly as possible.  Surgery is performed the day of admission. My room will not be assigned until after recovery. I have packets of information that answer every question under the sun about the surgery. Every consideration will be given to my husband Ray because he'll be a big player in my progress.

Later this evening I'll have something else small to eat because  after midnight its nix on food or water, even my precious morning cup of Joe. (And nooooooo I'm not happy about that). An Ambien tonight should help me sleep.  6:45am will come early. Surgery is set for 10am, but probably before. I'm second in line.  

Updates as Oxycontin is available.

No comments: