Monday, October 26, 2009

HALLOWEEN COUNTDOWN!

I love the week before Halloween. Autumn, I guess, is my favorite time of year...but Halloween is something special. I love to see the kids in their costumes...and candy, Jack O' Lanterns...and candy, brisk cold air and cloudy spooky evenings...and candy, but most of all I love spooky movies. I've been watching them all my life (or at least when my parents would begin to allow me).

So, in honor of Halloween and all things that go bump in the night, every day this week I'll select some of my own personal favorite characters, actors and stories that I think make scary movies and Halloween positively creepalicious!  Some might be fairly popular...others not so much, and you can bet I'll probably leave out or forget your favorite. 


First up, two of the very bad boys of scary movieland. Norman Bates and Michael Myers. Now here are two fellows that definitely had issues.  The character of Michael Myers is a product of the Halloween franchise. Whilst wearing an altered William Shatner Halloween mask, Michael damn near killed the whole town of Haddonfield in the attempt to settle the score with his sister..or his niece...or basically whoever made the mistake of stepping in his path (depending on the sequel number). He seemed to be especially fond of teenage girls with big bossoms.

Norman Bates....(Psycho) now there's a boy who loved his mother...to death.  He loved her so much, he carried her mummified corpse all around his rather forboding home.  Poor Marion Crane (a very young Janet Leigh) made the mistake of trying to take herself a shower while Norman was peeking...and well...we all know how that turned out.  Please try to remember...a boy's best friend is his mother.

Psycho was directed by Alfred Hitchcock and originally released in 1960. Halloween was directed by John Carpenter and originally released in 1978. Point of interest....Michael Myer's targeted sister was played by none other than Jamie Leigh Curtis, who is the daughter of Janet Leigh, who played Marion Crane, the unfortunate shower scene victim in Psycho.  Both of these films had theme and background music that was essential in helping scare the poot out of you.

Hope you've enjoyed my first two selections...stay tuned...its only Monday.





No comments: